SCREEN-L Archives

July 1996, Week 3

Sender:
From:
"Simone L. Fary" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 1996 21:27:41 -0400
Spoke to a woman whose name I can no longer remember who was
involved in producing historical documentaries for PBS.  I asked
her why there was so little done on women's history.  She told
me that she loved to do documentaries on the subject, but that
it was like pulling teeth to get any money for them.
There is a perception out there that men, who are the important
audience because they purchase the big ticket items like cars
are more interested in yet another doc about WWII or battlefields.
        I don't do this myself, so my advice is a bit
hypocritcal, but I do believe that when public tv shows a movie
about women's issues (or whatever else is important to us), or
the newspaper doesn't give coverage to a film that it should etc.
you need to let them know about it.  When they get a letter or
phone call, they assume that it represents the opinions of
hundreds or thousands who haven't spoken up.
Would like to hear others opinions
Simone Fary