SCREEN-L Archives

January 1998, Week 4

From:
Jim Marsden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jan 1998 15:31:31 -0500
J. Emmett Winn wrote:

> As part of a research project I'm interested in--I'm looking for
> suggestions for movies to investigate.  Briefly: I'm looking for films
> where characters of an "upper-class" (broadly defined: economic, social
> etc) are "moralized, "emotionally healed," shown a "better" life
> perspective, etc. by characters of a "lower-class" (again broadly defined).
>
> Further I'm primarily interested in mainstream contemporary Hollywood
> cinema (made since about 1977 or so) that fit this very broadly defined
> category.  Some examples are:
> White Palace, Titanic, Pretty Woman, & Passion Fish

Two comedies come to mind: _Down and Out in Beverly Hills_ (1986), the remake
of _Boudu Saved from Downing_, in which a scruffy Nick Nolte reshapes the rich
family of Richard Dreyfus and Bette Midler; and, perhaps less perfectly a fit,
_Trading Places_ (1983), the Eddie Murphy/Dan Aykroyd vehicle.

Jim Marsden/Bryant College

University of Alabama.