SCREEN-L Archives

August 1995, Week 1

From:
Keith Hampson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 1995 22:28:42 +1000
Nancy,
A couple of years ago a CBC docudrama "The Valour and the Horror" about
the second world war received a strong response from veterans, and others
who didn't appreciate the revision of events. The government got
involved, and it I remember correctly, punished the producers in some
respect. The whole affair was covered extensively in the Globe and Mail,
Canada's nationally distributed newspaper. You could likely access this
paper at most US libraries.
What interests me about docudramas is the different set of expectations
brought to them by viewers, compared with those for dramas or
documentaries. Yet the lines between these forms are , of course,
moving and open to interpretation.
Keith