SCREEN-L Archives

January 1998, Week 5

From:
Diane Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 1998 05:44:31 +0000
J. Emmett Winn <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Bordwell and Thompson's FILM ART: An Introduction (5th edition) has a very
> helpful chapter on the aesthetic dimensions of editing.  It's chapter
> Eight/ The Realtion of Shot to Shot: Editing (pp. 270-310).  The sections
> included are:
> What Editing Is, Dimensions of Film Editing, Continuity Editing, &
> Alternatives to Continuity Editing.  This may be of some help.
>
> Mehdi Semati ([log in to unmask]) asked:
> >I was seeking a recommendation for a text(book).  I teach a class in video
> >(field) production. In this class students are expected to do some
> >editing.  Can you recommend a book that explains for beginners the history
> >and fundamental principles of editing (in film and/or video) as developed
> >in Hollywood? I am not looking for books that explain technical dimensions
> >(i.e. equipment), but a book that explains the aesthetic dimensions of
> >editing.  Any recommendation whatsoever is greatly appreciated.  Thanks

Or 'The Technique of Film Editing' compiled by Karel Reisz for the
British Film Academy, published by Focal Press.  Only one chapter on
technical, the rest all on fundamental principles as developed in
Hollywood, and elsewhere (please don't ignore the contribution of
other countries!).

Diane
Journal Productions, UK