SCREEN-L Archives

May 2001, Week 3

From:
Deron Albright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2001 08:13:33 -0400
Wong typically doesn't use screenplays (although I can't speak to "In the Mood for Love.").  Chris Doyle (Wong's cinematographer) describes the films' structure as "fat man's feet" - getting from place to place without ever being able to see them (or something like that).  So much so that even character names are left up in the air - Doyle remarks on the day that Wong appropriated the names of two crew members for the lead characters in "Happy Together" - "My focus puller is in love with my gaffer - who knew?"

Deron Albright
Film and Media Arts
Department of Communications
Adelphi University