SCREEN-L Archives

April 1991

Sender:
From:
Gayle Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 91 10:35:20 EDT
The other question that comes up with Silence of the Lambs is the
comparison of Hopkins' Lecter with that of Brian Cox's in Manhunter
(based on Thomas Harris' other novel in which Lecter participates,
Red Dragon).  Roger Ebert made reference to this a few weeks ago though
I've now forgotten his preference.  I also feel it's a shame that
Demme could not have made Red Dragon first and then gone onto Silence.
Because it was directed by Terence Mann, Manhunter looks like an
extended Miami Vice episode.  Brian Cox's cell is stark white, no
Multiple Miggs or any other unsavory psychopaths in the vicinity.
Another flaw in Manhunter is what it loses in translation from novel to
film.  In the novel the serial killer, Francis Dolarhyde, gets a strong
characterization that I at least found sympathetic.  In the film he's
just the menacing killer.  Any reactions?
Gayle Williams, University of Georgia