SCREEN-L Archives

February 1994

From:
John Cobb III <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 1994 01:12:22 -0600
Thank you  for your response to my request.
One of my main concerns on the film project is to bring off some sfx
work that is from the point of view of the character, therefore,
the sfx becomes part of the character's characterization. Leastwise,
the easiest part part is that the segments are to be b/w and not color,
but {here comes the hard part] some color has to be added to the b/w
footage. I see several ways of doing this:

1) Film the b/w footage, dye in the areas of colors on the neg.
(scary right) then make a color master
2) Film the b/w footage make paper photo prints and color the areas
then re-photograph onto color film using an animation stand
3)Bring the film footage into a computer then color with a paint
program then bring the images back out onto a film recorder

With item #2 we might be able to recover some of the cost of the
sfx's work by selling off the hand colored b/w prints
Before I make a comment to one of the above ways I hope to get
some personal experience responses (or opions) that have done one
or all of the above - and - opions for other ways that the b/w
footage can be colored and at the same time seeking a quality
image. I also understand that the choice just might be an aesthetic
one.

John