SCREEN-L Archives

November 1994, Week 5

Date:
Tue, 29 Nov 1994 12:31:13 CST
Just a note on the film...no you should not have to read the book to
understand it, but perhaps becoming familiar with the book will help you
understand why Branagh's work differs so much from the classic "horror"
version of _Frankenstein_.  I, myself, prefer the monster as an intelligent
being.  In Shelley's book, he _is_ the tragic figure.  I think that
Branagh was aiming for that in his film.  If you compare this film to the
book, very little was changed.

Amy Reynolds
Pacific Lutheran University