SCREEN-L Archives

August 2000, Week 3

From:
Sandy Camargo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Aug 2000 09:35:34 -0600

>This brings up an interesting question, specifically for those that teach
>film.  Are your film selections guided by a consideration for the
>sensibilities of your intended audience?  One time in particular, I was
>approached by a student at the beginning of the semester and informed of her
>aversion to anything R-rated.  I worked with the student to come up with
>alternative films for the three in question, but wonder to what extent this
>sort of practice should be employed.  I'd be interested in hearing of others
>with similar experiences and how you handled them, as well as what your
>feelings are towards providing alternatives (or even designing the class
>around such issues in the first place).
>
>Ed

This issue is one that I have thought about, too. Of course it depends on
the course and the level of the student. I first came across this issue in
my big intro to film class where students (and their parents) objected to A
CLOCKWORK ORANGE and THE WILD BUNCH. Since I teach at a large, public
university in the midwest, I came to a sort of cost/benefit conclusion: can
I accomplish my pedagogical goals with a less potentially offensive film?
Usually, I can. Interestingly, violence (e.g., in horror films) is much
more of a problem with the students here than sex. So in my European
films/American remakes class, I decided not to use LA FEMME NIKITA, because
I was concerned that some students would find the violence in that film
offensive, and there are lots of other films that I could use.

Sandy Camargo
Department of English
University of Missouri