SCREEN-L Archives

December 1998, Week 2

Date:
Mon, 14 Dec 1998 11:43:31 +0000
I have always been fascinated by Orson Welles career (or lack of it!) and I
plan on reading a biography about him in the Christmas Holidays.
At home in Norway I have a book, I think by someone called Barbara Leaming
(as I am writing this in London, I am unable to check). I am a bit
suspicious about this one, because in the foreword she openly states that
during the many interview sessions she got to be totally charmed by the
man's personality. That is refreshing honesty, but I cannot help being a
bit concerned about the fact that it may have influenced her objectivity.

So my question is this, to all you learned people out there, can you come
up with suggestions about the best (meaning reliablem, thorough and
objective) biography about Welles? Preferably it should be quite recent
(and thus available) and in paperback, but all suggestions are welcome.

By the way, it seems to be two different biographies of Stanley Kubrick out
now, both being published within the last couple of years. One is by
someone called Baxter (I think), and I cannot recall the name of the other
author, but I am sure you know who I mean. Has anyone read these and can
recommend which one to choose?

Thank you for any suggestions.

Dag Soedtholt

University of Alabama.