SCREEN-L Archives

October 2000, Week 1

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 08:49:20 -0500
Peter, I assume you're talking about showing videotapes/DVDs of films and
not 16mm or 35mm prints.

Essentially, in "face-to-face teaching" situations you are permitted to
screen legally obtained videotapes/DVDs.  That is, you may not use illegal
dubs of copyrighted tapes.  And films taped off TV have their own set of rules.

For more information, see the page put up by the Wisconsin Department of
Public Instruction regarding "Performance Rights for Copyrighted
Videorecordings":

http://www.dpi.state.wi.us/dpi/dltcl/lbstat/coplicen.html

>Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 22:31:43 -0400
>From: brownp <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Showing Films in College Courses
>What are the legal and copyright issues involved in showing entire movies
>in a
>college film course, and how are film studies instructors dealing with these
>issues?
>Peter D.G. Brown
>SUNY New Paltz

----
Jeremy Butler
ScreenSite http://www.tcf.ua.edu/ScreenSite
Telecommunication & Film/University of Alabama/Tuscaloosa