SCREEN-L Archives

December 2005, Week 1

Date:
Sun, 4 Dec 2005 09:14:23 -0600
Hello,

We just wanted to let you know that the latest issue of Flow: A critical forum
on television and media culture is out. This issue features columns by Jonathan
Gray, L. S. Kim, Dan Leopard, John McMurria, and Walter Metz.

Please visit the journal at http://www.flowtv.org to read these columns and
contribute responses to them.

This issue's columns in brief:

"Speculation With Spoilers" by Jonathan Gray:
It is now possible to discover upcoming plot twists in your favorite television
series with a little internet research. How does the proliferation of
"spoilers" in online fan communities change the way we understand television
spectatorship?

"AZN Television: The Network for Asian America" by L. S. Kim:
It's a good time to consider the emergence, significance, and implications of
television targeted towards Asian Americans.

"Micro-Ethnographies of the Screen: Flatworld" by Dan Leopard:
In the second part in his discussion of screens in our daily lives, Leopard
considers the implicit training and conditioning of ICT's virtual and
miltary-funded Flatworld Project.

"Broadcasting is Dead, Long Live Broadcasting" by John McMurria:
As Internet companies move towards increasing video content they have begun to
look to television as a model. What lessons can be learned from the history of
broadcast as Internet/TV convergence gains momentum? In 4 case studies of
Internet/TV convergence, the issues of access, fair use and public initiatives
are explored and critiqued.

"'You Got to Know When to Hold Em': Notes Against the Academicization of
Television" by Walter Metz:
Metz's article acknowledges the relentless pressure to be taken seriously must
not prevent TV scholars from admitting that on occasion, like the average
viewers, they do slack in front of the tube. He watches "Poker TV" or even the
Simpson's just for their saccharine appeals and for relaxation purposes.

We look forward to your visit.

Best wishes,

Flow Editorial Staff