SCREEN-L Archives

July 1996, Week 3

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jul 1996 11:01:04 -0600
Gene wonders:
" am looking for modern films which rely almost entirely on visual
images to carry the story.  are there any?
        thanks for help
                gene"

One might argue that there is little "story" in these films, but 2001: A SPACE
ODYSSEY and Terrance Davies' THE LONG DAY CLOSES come to mind.  There are
long sequences in various films by Truffaut and Hitchcock (among others)
that depends almost entirely on images.  There is also a film by a black
filmmaker, whose title I forget, but which is virtually a "silent" film,
sort of a variation on THE KID.

For silliness, try Mel Brooks' SILENT MOVIE.

Much of Antonioni's output also depends heavily on visual compositions.

I'd also suggest looking at films by Bunuel and the African director Souleymane
Cisse's BRIGHTNESS.

Coppola's THE CONVERSATION may be the most purely visual of his films,
although the soundtrack is of unparalleled importance as well.

Hope these help.

(If you're interested in short films, there are many animated films that
are mainly visual)

Don Larsson, Mankato
State U (MN)