SCREEN-L Archives

April 1996, Week 4

From:
Jenni Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Apr 1996 17:37:16 -0400
Vanessa Katheri Wayne asked about images of lesbian adolescents in film and
source for Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit.

You should contact Frameline's Resource Center ([log in to unmask]) and ask if
you could look at their archival video copy of Oranges.

Alan Moyle's 1980 Times Square is one of the greatest teen dyke movies ever
made (I researched the original script at USC and found lots of lesbo content
that was removed as well).

There's a really interesting film from the 70s, called Getting Ready which
was shown in the 1991 NY L&G Film Fest (212) 254-7228.

Sorry my website isn't up yet or you could search it yourself.  But, a  few
other good things that have been shown in Frameline's SF Fest over the years
are: It's That Age (short), First Base (short), Something Special (girl wants
to be boy, available on home video), Maedchen in Uniform (1931 German girls
boarding school, on home video), Olivia (1950 French girls boarding school,
not on home video but Frameline archive has a copy), Therese & Isabelle (1968
German/US girls' boarding school available on home video).  This is just off
the top of my head, I know I can tell you many more if you like.  Just let me
know.   All of these showed in the SF Fest, ask Frameline if they can send
you copies of old fest catalogs (or wait til June 1st and it will all be at
your fingertips on PopcornQ, the ultimate site for the queer moving image)

The Well of Loneliness has not yet been made, but Emma Thompson has optioned
it (it may even be in production as we speak).

Sounds like a great project.

All the best,

Jenni Olson
Producer, PopcornQ
(PopcornQ, The Ultimate Website of the Queer Moving Image will be available
soon at http://www.popcornq.com)