SCREEN-L Archives

December 2000, Week 1

Sender:
From:
"Sarah L. Higley" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Dec 2000 10:46:13 -0500
On Sat, 2 Dec 2000, tutuila polynesian wrote:

> reply:the phantasy belongs to the great minds of science,study the
> compositions of Danny Wright,musican. fantasy belongs to the great worlds of
> wonder,study the animation flim fanstasia of Walt Disney or Jungle Book story.
> tutuila

Isn't it just a confusion between "fantasy" and "phantasm"--the first
originating from the vernacular spelling of the second (from
the Latin<Greek word phantasma/phantazein?)  My dictionary says there
is the variant spelling "phantasy."

I don't know if "phantasy" has acquired the special status that the
spelling "magick" has (with the archaic "k"), but it might have.  If
so, this is the first I've heard of it.  Until I'm told otherwise,
"phantasy" just looks like an affectation to me.  A deliberate archaism.
Something someone might have picked up from seventeenth or eighteenth
century writings.

Sarah

> On December 1, 2000 at 7:06pm -0500, you wrote:
> >What is the difference between fantasy and phantasy?  I see many
> >commentators on film write of "phantasies" and L. Frank Baum uses it in
> >the subtitle of one of his plays, but I have never found a definition or
> >reason for the alternate spelling.
> >
> >Scott
> >
> >----
> >For past messages, visit the Screen-L Archives:
> >http://bama.ua.edu/archives/screen-l.html
>
> ----
> To sign off Screen-L, e-mail [log in to unmask] and put SIGNOFF Screen-L
> in the message.  Problems?  Contact [log in to unmask]

Sarah L. Higley                            [log in to unmask]
Associate Professor of English                office:  (716) 275-9261
The University of Rochester                   fax:     (716) 442-5769
Rochester NY, 14627
Py dydwc glein / O erddygnawt vein?
"What brings a gem from a hard stone?"               Book of Taliesin