SCREEN-L Archives

October 1997, Week 3

Sender:
From:
Chris Worsnop <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 1997 14:00:12 -0400
I am a little surprised that this morning's mail is not full of messages
about last night's episode of Chicago Hope. There was such a fuss about ER's
live broadcast of its first episode of the season, I expected the same after
the competing hospital decided to do a Dennis Potter on US network TV. Just
imagine, only a dozen years after The Singing Detective, Pennies From Heaven
and Lipstick on Your Collar, we get a taste of the same technique.

Was it a rip off, or was it a tribute? Well, one of the one-time characters
who appeared in this episode was mysteriously named Potter. You decide.

I enjoyed the show, don't get me wrong, but I wonder how many people who saw
it realized that it owed its off beat technique to a British  writer who got
his doctors to keep him alive just long enough to finish his last two
screenplays: Karaoke and Cold Lazarus.

I'd be interested in other comments, and any word on sources for Dennis
Potter's work.

Chris

Chris M. Worsnop
Consultant, speaker, workshop leader, writer
media education, assessment, writing

Homepage: <http://www.screen.com/mnet/eng/speakers/cw/worsnop.htm>

2400 Dundas Street West            Email:  <[log in to unmask]>
Unit 6, Suite 107                  Phone:  (905) 823-0875
Mississauga
Ontario, Canada
L5K 2R8

"The only human activities really worthwhile are the search for knowledge
and the creation of beauty."  Arthur C. Clark