SCREEN-L Archives

June 1994

From:
Patrick B Bjork <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Jun 1994 10:36:07 -0500
On Sat, 4 Jun 1994 [log in to unmask] wrote:

> I'am writing the definitive biography of Spencer tracy and am wondering if
> there is any research network out there that might be of use to me.  I've
> covered all the obvious print and archival sources, but am always looking for
> obscure sources I might have overlooked.  Also interested in anuone else out
> there involved in the same sort of research.

Yes and no, but mostly no: I'm  writing a short biography on Veronica  Lake
who lead a notoriously tragic life, but  ever since I learned  that Tracy
was an alcoholic, I've often wondered about two things that you could
perhaps answer for me:

*Was it mere coincidence or did the studio system contribute to the slow
demise of many of its big stars from the 30's-50's?

*In this age of media sensationalism, how did the major studios succeed
in covering up  the antics and maladies of its performers?

--Patrick [log in to unmask]

BTW,   you might want to mail your response to my address or forward it
to H-FILM--that list deals with the History of Film and is perhaps more
appropriate for biographical discussion. Thanks!