SCREEN-L Archives

December 1994, Week 3

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Dec 1994 09:02:12 CST
Author:  "Mark Kawakami" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:    12/15/94 1:15 AM

[Editor's note:  This message was submitted to SCREEN-L by the "Author" noted
above, and not by Jeremy Butler ([log in to unmask]).]

>  Leone "lied." !!!! A very blunt statement and one needing consideration.
> Certainly, the Kurosawa influence is there but what about others from Leone's
> own cultural background. Chris Frayling's SPAGHETTI WESTERNS (1981)
> stresses this point. Since there are comedic aspects in FISTFUL (as there
> are in YOJIMBO) what about some relationship to a suggested Italian
> tradition no matter how indirect?

Hello,
 Well, even though my message consisted of one sentencce, in which
I said that the assertation by Leone that "Fistful" was not from
"Yojimbo", but rather from "Harlequin: Servant of two masters" was a lie,
I did not intend for it to mean that it was a simple line for line
translation of Yojimbo, and then dressed in Western-wear. Obviously,
Leone's own Italian traditions, as well as the cumuulative history of the
Western, bears strong rerlationship to the film. Otherwise, it wouuld be a
simple rip-off. However, the story is "Yojimbo". Tony Williams says as
much when he says that the "Kurosawa influence is there." It isn't subtle,
either, this Kurosawa influence. I'm not saying that "Fistful"
is only slightly informed by "Yojimbo". I'm saying "Fistful" is "Yojimbo"'s
plot line, there is no getting around it.
 I don't intend any disrespect to Leone, he is a fine director. His
films are viibrant, and I love "Fistful" as much as I love "Yojimbo". I
can't say that of "Seven Samurai" and "The Magnificent Seven." The
difference here is that "Fistful" stands as a great western on its own,
withou recoginizing its history. However, the assertation that "Yojimbo"
is not "Fistful"'s inspiration is ludicrous.
 Obviously, the different angles, the different concepts of screen
space, the different choreeeography of screen action and movement makes
the two different films. I don't consider "Fistful" plagarism (though
royalties for Kurosawa would have been nice) any more than I consider
"West Side Story" a plagarism of "Romeo and Juliet".

>   This is supposed to be a network discussing and interrogating filmic issues
> unlike the other "joke", trivia groups around. Further interrogation and more
> critical analysis supporting your statment is needed, not high-school/freshman
> knee-jerk reaction. Tony Williams.

 Well, perhaps my one line message was more flippant than Tony
Williams would have liked. Sorry :-(. However, though some idea of humor
was present in my message, it wasn't the knee-jerk reactionary rantings of
a screw-off too immature to be on "Screen-L" that it was made out to be. I
assume that most people familiar with the two works enough to recognize
them in Leone's statement don't need dual synopsis of the texts to support
my assertation. If you'd like one, I'll gladly provide it,
nothing would satisfy me more than spending my time
synppopsising two great films, it would be a great reason to
watch both of them repeatedly. However, it isn't beneficial,
in my opinion.
 As for the perfectly reasonable sugestion that "Screen-L" is not
simply a "Trivia" group, but rather an acaddemic one, I completely agree.
Howeever, a one sentence reaction to a one sentence claim is hardly a
corruption of the ideals of "Screen-L". The original message, which itself
was the trivia that Williams is so  aghast at, was paid as much due by my
reply as it was given in the first place. The debate that follows, (now in
round II?) is, I imagine, more what we're looking for. Though I admit that
perhaps I am biased in this issue, the last paragraph of William's posting
I find rude and insulting. Say what you will, it is your right in this
couuntry, but simply concluding with  the intention of academia instead
of sounding cool, would not only have been more in keeping with the ideals
of "Screen-L", it would also have been the courteous thing to do.

 Sincerely
 Mark