SCREEN-L Archives

June 2000, Week 2

From:
"Sarah L. Higley" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jun 2000 22:13:33 -0400
Are you talking about the Jocelyn Pook piece originally entitled
"Backwards Priests" (on _Deluge_), that was retitled "Masked Ball" on her
new CD _Flood_?  I have been curious about this for a while. Listening to
it, I had assumed that it was, as the original title suggests,
"backwards," and I had taken an estimated guess that it was Church Latin.
Someone played it backwards for me (so that it is sung "forwards") and I
thought I could detect a few Latin words.  Can anyone tell me what it was
that she transmuted?

The piece is very powerful, and the alien quality of the song is
heightened by the peculiar sounds of initial consonants that aren't
aspirated, diphthongs that are turned inside out, and so forth.  It
gave me the chills.  It was the one effective moment in the movie
for me.

What is this about the verses of the Koran?

Sarah Higley

On Mon, 12 Jun 2000, Darryl Wiggers wrote:

> As for the music change, the story about that is no-one -- including
> Kubrick -- noticed that the music in the orgy scene featured verses from
> the Koran. This only came to light when the North American version was
> released in theatres. Consequently, UK prints and most of the rest of the
> world featured a slight change in the lyrics. However, Katarina Hobbs
> (Kubrick's daughter) has acknowledged on alt.movies.kubrick that the change
> is so slight, she couldn't tell the difference (one would have to be an
> expert linguist to tell the difference). She also pointed out that if her
> father had know about the Koran verses beforehand he would certainly have
> made the change himself. He picked Jocelyn Pook's music simply because he
> loved the sound -- it created a mood he thought was perfect for the film.
> That's about it.
>
> In short, the UK version is about as complete as you can get -- and
> presented in the aspect ratio Kubrick intended.
>
> dw
>
> ----
> Online resources for film/TV studies may be found at ScreenSite
> http://www.tcf.ua.edu/ScreenSite

Sarah L. Higley                            [log in to unmask]
Associate Professor of English                office:  (716) 275-9261
Director of Undergraduate Studies in English  office:  (716) 275-0883
The University of Rochester                   fax:     (716) 442-5769
Rochester NY, 14627
Py dydwc glein / O erddygnawt vein?
"What brings a gem from a hard stone?"               Book of Taliesin

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/ScreenSite