SCREEN-L Archives

December 2001, Week 3

From:
Peter Rollins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Dec 2001 11:42:20 EST
Scholarly Query:  Image of Scientists in Popular Culture

[Note: Please ponder this query and respond to BOTH Dr.
    at her e-mail address AND the discussion list.  This question
        should be of interest to many, esp. film and TV
             scholars.......Peter Rollins.]

As I mentioned on the phone, I've had a few discussions with officials
within the American Chemical Society (the president and board members)
and members of congress about the declining number of US scientists.
It is generally agreed that there are multiple factors contributing to this,
some of which are being addressed in legislation. However, people always
state that they have no idea how to approach one factor, and that factor is
the perception of scientists people gather from media.

I was wondering if you have or can obtain any information on organizations
or individuals who are researching this. Also, do you have any ideas how
the image might be changed?

Dr. Donna J. Nelson, Associate Professor
Dept. of Chem. and Biochem.
University of Oklahoma Office Tel: 405-325-2288
620 Parrington Oval FAX: 405-325-6111
Norman, OK 73019

[Please respond to Dr. Nelson as well as the list....]