SCREEN-L Archives

June 1994

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jun 1994 09:49:04 -0600
Some other Vietnam films--THE GREEN BERETS (which at least deserves commentary
as the only major fiction film released during the war itself); CASUALITIES
OF WAR (Brian De Palma, with Michael J. Fox) and GOOD MORNING VIETNAM (Barry
Levinson, with Robin Williams) deserve some mention for making at least some
attempt to deal with the impact of the war on the Vietnamese themselves.

There were a number of films about Korea made after the fact, notablely
PORK CHOP HILL.  THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE plays off fears of N. Korean
brainwashing while at the same time satirizing American McCarthyism.  The
brainwashing fear I remember being promoted by a cheap production film
(probably made for tv) and narrated by Ronald Reagan.  It was shown several
times in class during my elementary school days (which dates me, I know).