SCREEN-L Archives

July 1993

Sender:
From:
Mark Bunster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 1993 12:17:42 EDT
*
*         I'm not sure if I understand the question, but I think these images
* have been nothing *but* co-opted into standard Hollywood fare.
*
*         Most often, punk imagery is used in that tired old trope of the
* baddass with a heart of gold.  Depending on how you define punk, I guess
* one example (albeit Hollywoody) is _Pretty in Pink_ where the feisty Record
* Store manager (played by Annie Potts) acts as the mother figure to Molly
* Ringwald's brooding li'l lip-biter.  Her maternal musings could be seen as
* contradictory to the values (?) of punk.
*
*         IMHO, attempting a postmodern treatment of punk might be a little
* like trying to picking up the tweezers with the tweezers; irony,
* appropriation, self-consciousness, and disdain for hierarchies seems to be
* pretty central to both "movements."  However--being a poseur of no small
* renown--I'm an expert neither on POMO or punk, so take all I say with a
* man-sized grain o' salt.  :-)
*
*         Happy punking!

Rap on, brutha!
Send me some facts on the private wire!
Mark

--
Mark Bunster                      |Exchange conversation if you dare--
Survey Research Lab--VCU          |Share an empty thought or a laugh.