SCREEN-L Archives

March 2021, Week 4

From:
Leshu Torchin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Mar 2021 03:21:14 -0500
CSC Playlist Initiative: Queer Feminist Citations

I am delighted to share with you ‘Queer Feminist Citations’ a playlist from
 Clara Bradbury-Rance (KCL).  Arguing that ‘citing the past is a tactic for imagining a politicised future’, Bradbury-Rance assembles a list of queer/feminist films and programmes that exhibit with both humour and flourish their feminist/queer political media histories.

You can read it here: https://screenculture.wp.st-andrews.ac.uk/2021/03/25/themed-playlist-queer-feminist-citations/

It’s a fitting playlist as we head into Passover, when Jews are encouraged to reflect on the past to imagine a more politicised future— for freedom from all facing oppression. I keep this in mind as I imagine the world I would like to see next year…

As always, you can peruse our larger collection of playlists here: https://screenculture.wp.st-andrews.ac.uk/category/media-playlists/

And in case you’re wondering, we have some lovely talks scheduled for the Film Studies Department Speaker Series:

Wednesday 7th April 2 pm (BST): Dr Becky Bartlett - Bad Ecocinema: Rubbish, Garbage, and Trash Films
Dr Becky Bartlett will be presenting her new work on rethinking trash cinema through an environmental lens. What is the 'trash' in trash cinema? How can recycled, repurposed, and found footage films help us understand the relationship between cinema and waste? Come along to find out!

Event link: https://tinyurl.com/tptryne2

Wednesday 21st April 3 pm (BST): Dr Julie Lobalzo Wright - Lip Sync For Your Life and the Classical Hollywood Musical
What does RuPaul’s Drag Race have in common with classical Hollywood musicals? Dr Julie Lobalzo Wright (University of Warwick) will be sharing her brilliant new research on the relationship between Drag Race’s Lip Sync battles and film musicals.

Event link: https://tinyurl.com/1qmyixqe

 Best Wishes,
Leshu

----
Learn to speak like a film/TV professor! Listen to the ScreenLex
podcast:
http://screenlex.org