SCREEN-L Archives

June 1992

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 2 Jun 1992 16:07:56 PDT
Steve Carr notes:

> NPR ran a story today on the Congressional debate over PBS funding which began
> today, after months of Republican filibustering.  We need to fight this
> version of patriotic correctness--anyone have any ideas about how we can
> mobilize ourselves against the coming dis-enlightenment?

The Public Television and independent documentary community has been
working hard on this issue. Basically, it's Jesse Helms, Robert Dole and
others attempting to punish Public TV for not going along with their
particular cultural agenda. What to do? Make it clear to your senators
and congressional representatives that you support public television
funding. Remind them that the law requires that public television be
free of government control.
-Henry Breitrose
 Stanford