SCREEN-L Archives

July 1996, Week 4

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jul 1996 10:09:35 -0600
jarrett inquires:
"I'm attempting to write a screenplay about an alternate present. I'm
looking for books about the topic for ideas, I have a book called the
Proteus Operation about scienists. If you can think of any others let me
know. The alternate present I'm talking about is "What if Germany/Japan
won WW2?" Let me know if you can help. I'm near tons of used book shops
in NYC so it doesn't matter how old the books are"

There is a whole sub-genre of literary SF that deals with such topics.  Perhaps
the most famous example of "What if the Axis had won" story lines is Philip
K. Dick's THE MAN IN THE HIGH CASTLE.  There was also a BBC tv production some
years back (starring, I think, Michael York) as well as others.

Go to any good SF bookstore and ask the clerk.  There are several paperbacks
in print right now that anthologize alternate history stories (one is titled
ALTERNATE KENNEDYS, eg.).

You also might want to hook up with some SF web sites and discussion groups!
There's a whole alternate universe out there! (and several more!)

Don Larsson, Mankato State U (MN)