SCREEN-L Archives

October 1999, Week 4

From:
gloria monti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 16:47:37 -0400
>A colleague and I teach a summer course called Religion and Human
>Experience. We want to try to build the course around a theme and use films
>as part of the course. We have done this in the past and it works well. This
>coming summer we thought of using the theme of Resistance and the Problem of
>Evil, and I would like to use the expertise of the list members to ask for
>suggestions on this theme.

        Roberto Rossellini's *Roma Cittą Aperta* (1945)
        Louis Malle's *Lacombe Lucien* (1974)
        I have strong doubts that you would be able to find it in the
US, but Giuliano Montaldo's *Tiro al Piccione* (1961) is be a very
strong title.  It's about the dilemma of a 17 year old Italian man
who grew up in Fascist Italy and is faced with choosing which side to
be on after Italy signs the armistice with the US in 1943.  A very
powerful document.

        Gloria Monti

______________________________

gloria monti
special assistant professor
department of audio/video/film
318 dempster hall
111 hofstra university
hempstead, NY
voice mail: 516-463-6463
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
http://pantheon.cis.yale.edu/~godard/index.html

10/281965: Pope Paul VI issued a decree absolving Jews of collective
guilt for the crucifixion of Jesus Christ.

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/ScreenSite