SCREEN-L Archives

March 1998, Week 4

From:
Murray Pomerance <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Mar 1998 10:41:35 -0500
My own mind is bent whenever I watch Charles L. Jones's RABBIT OF SEVILLE
(1949).  It's also a film.  So I guess it's a mindbending film.

Now that I think of it, my mind is bent when I watch so very many films
it would be unthinkable to list them.

My mind was *not* bent when I watched TITANIC, until the one scene where
Jack Dawson dies.  That scene--not the film--bent my mind.

But now that I think of it, my mind really isn't in fact or in metaphor a
tensile strip of any kind; and so nothing really *bends* my mind.  But
I'm a failed hippie so I do know what the questionner means.  MOUSEHUNT
bent my mind.  Jerry Lewis films have a tendency to bend my mind.  Agnes
Varda's LE BONHEUR bent my mind good.  (Even well.)  DEAD MAN bent my
mind, IN A LONELY PLACE bent my mind, 2001 bent my mind (but it was my
first marijuana and I was sitting in the FRONT row), obviously Hitchcock
bends my mind (no point in mentioning this), THE GREEN ROOM bends my
mind, and--yes, I'm going to say it--G. I. JANE bent my mind some.

To the many discerning members of the J U R Y who voted Demi Moore a
razzie for worst performance of the year in that last film, "Really!
Really!  She really got to you, then!"  That's me speaking.  She really
does manage to be utterly believable at the point where the filmpolitik
needs her to be, sweating on the "battlefield" as an "unladylike" type.
Yes, she bent my mind, and because the film perfectly contained her it
did, too.

I'm really disappointed in myself.  I've been reading this thread for
weeks now vowing to stay off it.

Michael Snow's WAVELENGTH bent my mind.

All this is succeeding in doing is show me how bendable my mind is.  I'm
nothing but an impressionable wimp.

Murray
Toronto