SCREEN-L Archives

May 1993

Date:
Mon, 3 May 1993 11:49:25 EDT
The ingenue heroine in PICKET FENCES did not "choose" men; she was very
clear: "I like boys."  This was repeated at least twice, once in discussion
with her friend and once more in discussion with the parents.  I agree that
the parents could have been more supportive, but as Lisa pointed out, that
was her own mother's response.

Discussion of the woman deputy's claim of discrimination might have been
more specific.  Part of the reason she was passed over was that she was
young as the sheriff mentioned almost incidentally.  The contrast was
between a more experienced, older officer versus a younger, better educated
one.  These points were all made, but badly -- in the interests of heightened
"drama" I suppose.  Subtlety closes on Saturday as they say of satire.

Cal Pryluck, Radio-Television-Film, Temple University, Philadelphia
<[log in to unmask]>  <PRYLUCK@TEMPLEVM>