SCREEN-L Archives

December 1999, Week 1

From:
Pulp C Admin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 07:50:16 -0500
1.  Protesting the WTO in Seattle [the revolution may not be televised but
*will* it come with optional cinnamon sprinkled on top!]
2.  What is science and should we test our knowledge on the basis of what
works?
3.  Working our way toward a a reading of The Psychic Life of Power, Judith
Butler
4.  Why is the measure of love, loss?  [Jean Winterson, _Written on the Body_]
5.  Is fear a fundamental component of human life.
6.  Lacan, feminist critiques of Lacan, gender and sexuality

The above are just a taste of the conversations crystallizing at Pulp
Culture.  What is Pulp Culture?

PULP (pulp)  n. 1. the fleshy, succulent part of  fruit; 2. any soft,
formless substance, as of disintegrated matter, esp. wood fiber used for
making paper.  v.  to squeeze,  press,  knead.

CULTURE (kul-chur) n.  1.  a society or group characterized by its
distinctive practices, customs, beliefs; 2. an appreciation for art,
literature, music;  3. improvement by care or training in a special
environment.

PULP CULTURE:   to press, squeeze, knead, or shape the juicy, fleshy,
succulent bits of culture, media, and politics.

Pulp Culture is an e-mail discussion list and (eventually) 'zine focusing
on critical engagements
with and analyses of media/culture/politics. From the fleshy, sweet acidity
and pulpy bits of popular media/culture to the tough, bitter rind of
Culture to the tendinous fibers of the political economy, we want to "pulp
culture" from a variety of critical, practical and theoretical
perspectives. Our aim,
as well, is the reconstruction of theory. That is, we want to "pulp theory"
in order to interrogate its presuppositions and to examine the conditions
of its possibility. Discussions at Pulp Culture, then, are intended as
interventions  in the terrain of ongoing theoretical, cultural and
ideological-political
struggles inherent in the production/consumption of media/culture in all
its forms.

To join the fun, fray and fissures at Pulp Culture send a subscription
message to:

In the body of the message type, subscribe pulp-culture.

If you'd like to subscribe to the daily digest version type, subscribe
pulp-culture-digest.

To learn more about Pulp Culture check out the rind at
http://www.flash.net/~oudies/pul_culture.htm

See you at Pulp!

Ken Mackendrick, University of Toronto
Kelley Walker, Syracuse University