SCREEN-L Archives

March 1996, Week 3

Date:
Wed, 20 Mar 1996 08:58:47 EST
Denis Simard writes:

> Does anyone know whether Flaherty was alone when he shot Nanook or if he was
> accompanied with an operator? And did he had one or two cameras with him?

Denis,
Flaherty was assisted by Bob Stewart, the Revillion agent at Port Harrison
who is seen in the trading post sequence, and by a number of the natives
on site, including Allakariallik who plays Nanook.  He used one motion
picture camera -- an Akeley -- and also took still photos with a Graflex.
The equipment was maintained in part by the natives and in part
by Flaherty.  Development was done by Flaherty on site with native
assistants, and printing was done with natural light as a source.
Rushes were screened for the locals during production using a Simplex
projector.

There is some information on this in Jo-Anne Birnie Danzker, Robert
Flaherty Photographer/Filmmaker and other sources.  The Flaherty papers
are available at Columbia University in New York.  They are filled with
notes and diaries made by Flaherty during the film's production that give
fascinating insights into the process.  The film KABLUNAK gives a
reasonable portrayal of the production process (subject to the
demands of story-telling).

Hope this is of some help.  Don't hestiate to contact me by e-mail if you
need more information.

Mark Langer

Email address: [log in to unmask]