SCREEN-L Archives

June 1996, Week 1

Sender:
From:
"M.A. Holmes" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jun 1996 10:50:28 -0400
Regarding Michael Plott's comments:

My degree is in Communications and Theatre (whatever that means) and I do not
teach at least not in the classical manner.  I have, however, worked in film
and tv for many years.  The one thing that I have learned is that film is
like wine...it does not matter what the experts say, it is only good if you
like it.  Consequently, my friends and I have noted several films that were
universally panned are really quite good.."Ishtar" for instance.  I have one
friend who is crazy about "Joe vs. The Volcano".  By the same token, films
that are raved about may not be all that fine.  Personally, I hated "Platoon"
for all its graphic violence and the portrayl of the darkness in men's souls.
 All you have to do is read the front page of today's Boston Globe for that.
 Nor was "Get Shorty" nearly as witty and expository about the entertainment
business as "The Player."  When I go to the movies, I want to be entertained.
 Sometimes I want a philosophical lesson, sometimes I don't.  I happen to
believe that most of the movie-going population feels that way.  And that is
my personal opinion.  I have been wondering about maintaining my
subsrciption, too, but not necessarily for the same reasons.  More often, I
am questioning why so many people can spend hours pondering something as
inconsequential as Johnny Depp's career.  (Not that he is inconsequential,
but that the constant and complete dissection of his life is.)

Michael, please maintain your subscription.  Your opinion is just as valid as
anyone else's.

M.A. Holmes