SCREEN-L Archives

December 1997, Week 3

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 19 Dec 1997 10:47:15 -0600
Harvey Roy Greenberg comments:

> geez, as far as this psychoanalyst knows, he was one of the more
randy fellows
> around. Don't get involved overly much on short notice with concepts of
> Welles' latent homosexuality. But if you buy the distinction, there is much
> homosociality and latent and not so latent competitiveness with an oedipal
> tinge in the canon -- LADY FROM SHANGHAI   MR ARKADIN  TOUCH OF EVIL  so
> forth.

It is pretty obvious that homosexuality interested Welles (he often
declared that he had been put off by a pornographic Swedish postcard in
his youth), but the application to his actual life is at least more
ambiguous.  Simon Callow's recent THE ROAD TO XANADU makes some
interesting speculations about this theme in Welles's life, especially
in his relations with people like "Dada" Bernstein and John Houseman,
but the book only covers his career through CITIZEN KANE.

I believe a second volume of Callow's bio has been published in England
but I haven't seen it in the U.S.

Don Larsson