SCREEN-L Archives

July 1994

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jul 1994 09:46:26 -0600
Did anyone notice in THE CLIENT (if you've bothered going) that when the
boy is looking for a lawyer, he passes a door marked THE CHAMBER--of commerce,
that is, but of course it's also the name of Grisham's latest book.  And I
may have missed previous discussion on this, but has anyone commented on the
background messages (at least 5) about animal rights that run through
LETHAL WEAPON III?

This leads to a, I hope, more significiant question:  Are there other films
that plug particular social/political agendas and/or the filmmakers'/authors'
works with elements of setting and such?  (Another recent one that comes to
mind is in THE SHADOW with a truck labeled "Mulcahy" and a sign for "
Baldwin" cigarettes).

I AM NOT looking for mere product plugs (like the Sprite can the boy holds
in THE CLIENT) or "artistic" uses of background messages (eg., the blind
woman's sign in TOUCH OF EVIL).