SCREEN-L Archives

December 2000, Week 1

From:
Christina Lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 2000 11:21:26 -0500
I recommend Beth Bailey's book _From Front Porch to Back Seat: Courtship in
Twetieth Century America_ (1988) and Peter Filene's _Him/Her/Self:  Sex Roles
in Modern America, 2nd ed._.  Also the book _Intimate Matters_ by John
D'Emilio et al.  All of these are oldies but goodies.

--Christina

>===== Original Message From Film and TV Studies Discussion List  =====
>on 2/12/00 12:49 pm, Thomas Morsch at [log in to unmask] wrote:
>
>> films that present 'non-hegemonic' relationships (e.g. homosexual
>> relationships, relationships between adults and children,
>> pseudo-relationships from afar between fan/star, etc.) as an alternative
>> to hegemonic ideas of love,
>
>Four Weddings and a Funeral is worth considering because it is such a
>popular mainstream romantic comedy yet in the subplot it contrasts a happy
>loving stable homosexual couple with the fluid heterosexual affair in the
>main plot.  The commitment phobic male, the female in search of a good man
>and taking the initiative, and the fashionable seal of approval on the
>homosexual pair are all icons of our age - My Best Friend's Wedding and the
>latest film of Madonna and Rupert Everett (title escapes me) also show
>similar notions with an affirmative nod for the homosexual.
>
>Perhaps one of the most important representations of homosexual
>relationships 'as an alternative to hegemonic ideas of love' would have to
>be Maurice because of the success of the film.  It's striking for giving the
>polished Merchant-Ivory gloss to an alternative relationship, and was the
>first time on mainstream screens in the States for men to be shown making
>love.  The romanticised images and pleasure of the spectacle made it
>attractive to audiences for whom the content would normally have been
>offbounds.
>
>Finally My Beautiful Launderette and Crying Game use the idea of a
>homosexual relationship between a white and black man to open up questions
>about identity, race and class through the central love story.  In both
>cases the love story subverts convention and incurs violence - love as
>radical in contrast to the usual drive for stability and order that
>underlies the love story.
>
>Regards
>JD
>Kyoto
>
>----
>To sign off Screen-L, e-mail [log in to unmask] and put SIGNOFF Screen-L
>in the message.  Problems?  Contact [log in to unmask]

Christina Lane
Assistant Professor and James B. Pendleton fellow
Dept. of Cinema and Photography
244 Roy H. Park School of Communications
Ithaca College
Ithaca, NY  14850
PH (607) 274-7003
FX (607) 274-1664