SCREEN-L Archives

February 1995, Week 2

From:
Abe Mark Nornes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Feb 1995 16:52:41 CST

>What about Yamagata? Would be nice to get the catalogue and other material
>on the net. Same for Fukuoka (important for Asian movies).

Believe me the thought crossed our collective minds over a year ago.  At
the moment, the cost is somewhat prohibitive in Japan.  There is a lot of
interest in internet in the media, but I know few people that actually have
used it.  Even in academia, the scholars studying media do not
automatically get access from their schools.  If they are in the
humanities, they usually get only email.

We are interested in putting the catalog online ---- personally, I think
it's an inevitable direction for future *international* film festivals
---- but this year might be rough.  I would also like to see our newsletter
Documentary Box online.  HTML (the formatting commands for WWW) is
ridiculously easy to insert into text which has already been edited for
paper printing, but finding a home on the net is problematic.

However, we are considering integrating new technologies and networking
into our program on the 100th anniversary of "cinema".

Markus
Yamagata International Documentary Film Festival