SCREEN-L Archives

June 1994

Sender:
From:
Klaus Eder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jun 1994 03:20:00 +0200
>Date:    Mon, 20 Jun 1994 12:33:40 CST
>From:    "Ana M. Lopez" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Mexican Cinema
>

>>The best source, however, is the "Historia Documental del Cine Mexicano" by
>>Emilio Garcia Riera (beginning only in 1929). The new edition (nine volumes)
>>was published earlier this year.
>
>Yes, Garcia Riera's work is extraordinary.  But, as you mention, his nine
> volumes deal
>almost exclusively with the sound cinema, so for detailed information on the
> Mexican silent
>cinema one has to go elsewhere.

Ana:

yes, you are right. I only wanted to express my respect and admiration for
Emilio. As I had written, I do not know any other historian who wrote, with
the same enthusiasm, nine volumes on the history of his national cinema. I do
not read Spanish very well, but I can understand that he is an extremely good
writer too.

Klaus

Klaus Eder Munich