SCREEN-L Archives

July 1996, Week 4

Date:
Mon, 22 Jul 1996 11:58:22 +1000
>Kate Bowles mentioned the V-chip in her note on Media Censorship in
>Australia.  Pardon my ignorance, but what is the V-chip?

As I understand it.  It is an elctronic chip that allows TV shows to be
monitor by a frequency that will be broadcast along with transmission of
the program.  The V-Chip can be programmed not to recieve certain
transmissions.  So a program with a Violence (V) rating will emit a certain
frequency.  Certain parents can program their TV's not to accept this
transmission if they do not wish their children to watch it.
 This programming can be overridden with codes.  So when the kiddies are
asleep the adults can play.
Hope this clears it up a bit.

------------       " Even a stopped clock gives the correct time twice a day."
  Deano