SCREEN-L Archives

October 2010, Week 5

From:
"Frank, Michael" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Oct 2010 11:31:08 -0400
there is a lot of work that criticizes hitchcock's treatment of women  -- from laura mulvey's inescapable essay through, most strikingly, tania modleski's hitchcock book

but these do NOT criticize his status as auteur, and in effect, in finding in his films a coherent strain of misogyny, in a way support his claim to having created a coherent body of "artistic" films - though modleski's intro chapter frames this interestingly

if i may, without immodesty, call some attention to my own work, i've given talks on ways in which hitchcock frequently sacrifices thematic coherence for impressive rhetorical effect, though these have not yet been finished and published  . . i'd be happy to share some of these ideas if asked

mike