SCREEN-L Archives

June 1998, Week 1

Sender:
Date:
Thu, 4 Jun 1998 00:56:29 -0500
7bit
From:
Darrell Varga <[log in to unmask]>
Annie Goldson wrote:

> I'm looking for a videotape by Mona that somehow involved letter writing

Perhaps you are looking for "Measures of Distance" by London-based,
Beirut-born artist Mona Hatoum. Produced while the artist was in
residence at the Western Front Art Centre, Vancouver Canada, the tape is
about correspondance between the artist and her mother, across space,
nation-state, culture, and language, and deals also with the boundaries
of word, image, voice, and body, etc. The tape is very good, and I have
had good experience with student responses to it.

Contact Western Front for distribution info., or contact the Museum of
Contemporary Art in Chicago, or the New Museum in New York which
recently mounted a retrospective of her work.

Darrell Varga
Yoirk University, Toronto

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/screensite