SCREEN-L Archives

October 1995, Week 2

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Oct 1995 10:20:45 -0600
In addition to the films set in or about New Orleans that Jeff Porche has
accumulated, don't overlook older films as well--
I'm not absolutely sure of the role played by NO in some of these, but they
should be relevant:

THE BUCCANEER  (about Jean Lafitte)
JEZEBEL
FLAME OF NEW ORLEANS (with Dietrich, Rene Clair's first US film)
THE IRON MISTRESS (about Jim Bowie--I believe it opens in NO)

Also, a significant part of Kate Chopin's novel THE AWAKENING is set in NO.
It was made as tv movie (called GRANDE ISLE) by Kelly McGillis a few years
ago, but I believe that there are other film versions as well.

Finally, I don't think anyone's mentioned Richard Tuggle's TIGHTROPE, with
Clint Eastwood.

Don Larsson, Mankato State U (MN)

BTW, if it's at all relevant, you might want to seek out existing copies of
the short-lived and lamented TV series, FRANK'S PLACE, which used its setting
better than most films--let alone TV shows!