SCREEN-L Archives

January 2006, Week 1

From:
Phil Powrie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jan 2006 12:04:08 -0000
[circulated to various lists]

1. New Editorial Team

As the volume of submissions to Studies in French Cinema has expanded,
we have restructured our Editorial Team to include two new Assistant
Editors: Will Higbee (Exeter) and Sarah Leahy (Newcastle upon Tyne). See
here for details of how the team will operate:
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/crif/sfc/submit.htm

2. Conference Call

CINEMA AUDIENCES: A SYMPOSIUM

UNIVERSITY OF NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE

It is now approaching one hundred years since the first cinemas were
built in Britain. In that time, the ways in which we consume film have
changed enormously. This symposium aims to explore film consumption with
a specific emphasis on cinemas and audiences. How have our cinema-going
practices changed over the last century? How do audiences engage with
film culture? How have cinema industries adapted to drive or reflect
these changing patterns of consumption?

Recent developments in Film Studies have seen an increasing desire to
engage with the cultures of film consumption: to investigate the
audience rather than to construct the spectator. Studies such as those
of Pierre Sorlin (Mass Media, 1994), Mark Jancovich (The Place of the
Audience: Cultural Geographies of Film Consumption, 2003), Annette Kuhn
(Everyday Magic: Cinema and Cultural Memory, 2002) and Jackie Stacey
(Star Gazing: Hollywood Cinema and Female Spectatorship, 1994), have
helped to redefine our understanding of 'audience studies',
demonstrating how such research can open up new areas of study, and
challenge academic pre-conceptions relating to the relationships between
texts and spectators, and between film production and film consumption.
This day of events devoted to cinema audiences will continue to develop
this burgeoning area of research and to consider what audiences can
bring to Film Studies.

Visiting speakers will include: Pierre Sorlin (Emeritus Professor,
University of Paris III) and Mark Jancovich (Professor of Film and
Television Studies, University of East Anglia).

Papers would be welcomed on any area of film consumption, including:

Cinema-going
The history of the cinema
Ethnographic studies and audiences
Audiences as consumers of film culture
Film consumption and cultural, regional or national identity
Child consumers
Documentary film
The Art-house Cinema
The Multiplex
Film clubs and cinephilia
Fan cultures
Audiences and genre/stars
Early cinema audiences

Send abstracts of approximately 200 words to [log in to unmask] by 28
February 2006. It is planned to publish selected papers in an edited
volume.

--
content by the NorMAN MailScanner Service and is believed
to be clean.

The NorMAN MailScanner Service is operated by Information
Systems and Services, University of Newcastle upon Tyne.