SCREEN-L Archives

February 2002, Week 4

Sender:
From:
Peter Rollins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Feb 2002 17:39:06 EST
In a message dated 2/24/02 12:01:12 AM Central Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Date:    Sat, 23 Feb 2002 12:22:46 EST
> From:    Hr Greenberg <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Hollywood and the war film
>
> You will find an essay on war cinema called DANGEROUS RECUPERATIONS in my
> book SCREEN MEMORIES: HOLLYWOOD CINEMA ON THE PSYCHOANALYTIC COUCH, Columbia
> University, 93. Still in paper back. Harvey Roy Greenberg MD

 More information on the War Film?

_Film & History_ did a four-part issue on the World War II film
back in 1997.  A description of the articles with titles, etc is on
the Film & History Web site:  www.filmandhistory.org
_Film & History_ has published articles on particular films for
decades, and there is a table of contents for the last 30 years
on the web site.  (Libraries can by an entire set in hard copy
or purchase the CD-ROM for 26 Years plus paper.)

_Hollywood's World War I_.  Eds. Peter C. Rollins and John E.
       O'Connor (Popular Press, 1999)
       covers a traumatic martial experience--considering
       both films of the day and then later reflections.  Amazon.com
       has the table of contents and description.  This item may go
       out of print in a month or so.

Lawrence Suid is one of the major scholars in this field and his
       wonderful _Guts and Glory_ is being republished by the
       UP of  Kentucky in the next month or so...

Good luck with your class....

Peter

Peter C. Rollins
Editor-in-Chief
_Film & History: An Interdisciplinary Journal of Film and TV Studies_
(Web site: www.filmandhistory.org)
RR 3 Box 80
Cleveland, OK 74020
(918)243-7637 and fax 5995

Comments: Individual subscription information on the web site
as well as information and FAQ's about the CD-ROMs. There are
also discussion items and essays on Saving Private Ryan, Amistad,
CNN's Cold War, and a host of other topics. The Table of Contents
for the last thirty years is there as well. The last two issues dealt with
Television as Historian (Vols. 30.1 and 30.2).  The next two move on
to The Holocaust in Film, the subject of our recent AHA session in
San Francisco in early January, 2002.

Next conference is in November, 2002, a year from this
Fall, on The American West(s) in Film, Television, and History
at the Kansas City Marriott, Country Club Plaza--just a few blocks
from the Nelson Art Gallery, a major institution and just next door
to the Kansas City Arts Institute. We are looking for energetic
people to serve as Area Chairs and will put a list of existing and
available Area Chair topics on the web site this summer.

www.filmandhistory.org

Deadline for proposals is 15 August.  Early proposals always get
the most compatible panels, so do not wait until the 11th hour!