SCREEN-L Archives

June 1996, Week 4

From:
Mark Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jun 1996 09:36:18 -0800
Hm... not really a film study issue.

However, it does bring a question to mind:  Have there been any good papers
written about the allure of stardom?  Obviously those who have performed
have always throughout history had a particular allure --but I am wondering
if this has always been true, or if it is a phenomenon of the mass market
media starting with radio.  For example, in the medieval era, did the
royalty fill the role of celebrity and where the actors really regarded as
"whores" which is what I was taught in theater history?  I suspect that the
actors even then had the same allure, but I don't know.

Does anyone know about this?

Sincerely,

Mark Allen
Xantherboy