SCREEN-L Archives

April 1995, Week 2

From:
Kristine Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 1995 15:15:42 CDT
At  3:53 PM 4/5/95 -0500, Donald Larsson wrote:

>Kristine Butler writes:
>"I'd like to elicit a mass brainstorming effort:  I'm working on an idea
>concerning films in which a pre-recorded message plays a part in conveying
>narrative information (an answering machine, a tape player, etc.).
>Example:  in Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown, Pepa's boyfriend
>exists primarily as the messages he leaves on her answering machine.
>Anything you can think of would be greatly appreciated.  More on this
>later.  Thanks!!"
>
>Do you mean only *electronically* pre-recorded messages?  There are many, many
> examples of *print* messages having a role in the narrative.
>
>Two electronic sources that come to mind are the original film verison of DEATH
> OF
>A SALESMAN, which includes a wire recorder, and the giant on-the-wall
> reel-to-reel answering maching in Mike Hammer's apartment in KISS ME DEADLY.
>
>Don Larsson, Mankato State U. (MN)

First of all, I'd like to thank everyone who has been submitting ideas to
this effort.  Just to let you know, I will be keeping in touch on the uses
I make of this information.  At the moment I'm only information-gathering,
but my primary work on this will be in the summer and the fall.  At
sometime in the nearish future, I'll send a copy of my prospectus to
SCREEN-L.

pre-recorded messages, as I am looking primarily at sound recordings.

Kris Butler
University of Minnesota