SCREEN-L Archives

November 1994

From:
Jajasoon Tlitteu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Nov 1994 00:13:38 -0600
>I never thought I'd be writing e-mail messages about films with goldfish, but I
>think I've come up with a good one.  It's a Canadian film from 1978 called _The
>Silent Partner_.  Elliott Gould plays a bank clerk who collects tropical fish,
>and I think he carries around a gold fish in a plastic bag for a while as a
>metaphor for the precarious position that he himself is in (Christopher Plummer
>has threatened to kill him).  The metaphor is expanded when the head of a woman
>ends up in Gould's fish tank just after he has made love to her.

Does the clerk carry the goldfish as a metaphor for his position?  Or does
the filmmaker/writer do the dirty work?  I hope it's the former - isn't
carrying fish as signifiers illegal in Canada?

********
jajasoon tlitteu  ([log in to unmask])

"Academic training was instrumental.  You have to understand the language
of society before you can start stretching and subverting it and ripping
and tearing it and burning it and watching the plastic drip on the ants."