SCREEN-L Archives

July 1997, Week 4

From:
jennifer taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jul 1997 08:14:37 PDT
I am researching the question:
How can we limit the amount of sex and violence on TV? I would like list
members to respond to some of my questions and comments ..

How do you define violence? Is violence such as a punch to the face more
objectionable than someone causing bleeding to someone else? Is a punch
in the face considered violence?

Do you think using the V-chip will give movie directors in Hollywood a
convenient excuse for even more violent programs and more sex scenes on
TV?

What do you think of the V-chip versus the program editor which blanks
out pre-selected programs?

Do you believe the program editor would be better than the V-chip?

Could children somehow deprogram the program editor as some people claim
the children can do to the V-chip?

Will the V-chip cause more bland shows to be aired on TV or will it not
change program content?

Do you agree or disagree with this quotation from Rep. Bliley? "The
government should leave the issue to parents and advocacy groups to turn
off their TV sets or pressure advertisers not to sponsor objectionable
programs."

Should we trust the networks to rate TV shows accurately?

Do you think TV networks may over rate or even under rate the programs?

Should parents watch at least one show with their children to see how
violent it is? After watching the program discuss the violence they  saw
and try to explain that most of TV violence can be or is fake?