SCREEN-L Archives

May 1994

Sender:
From:
Patrick B Bjork <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 May 1994 11:04:05 -0500
On Wed, 18 May 1994, Gloria Monti (GD 1995) wrote:

> > Did anyone see Harvey Pekar's appearance on David Letterman
> > Monday night?  His showings always makes for interesting
> > television.
> >
>         This major *Non Film Theory* detour allows me to take Matt's
> question one step further and ask this list a question which I have
> been debating with a member of Screen-l for quite some time.
>         Question: how many of you watch Letterman?
>         I find it hard to believe that the whole nation is raving about
> the show, as it has been pointed out to me.  I also find the long lines
> outside the theater to gain access to the show, as well as the whole
> souvenir shop deal quite puzzling.
>         Opinions welcome.  Thank you.
>         Jeremy, do not police me. I am doing some American Studies-popular
> culture field work here. :-)
>
>         Gloria Monti

Well. . .this appears to be the age of "stupid," Gloria; if it's
stupid, eg, "Beavis & Butthead" and "Stupid Pet Tricks," then it sells.
Of course, "stupid" has always sold, but I suspect there's bit more
technique a Buster keaton-like "stupid" than a Letterman. That's a
ridiculous comparison, anyway. overall, though, I'd say Letterman at this
point is the master of "stupid." Anyone, by comparison, like jay leno,
for instance, is just stupid.

Patrick [log in to unmask]