SCREEN-L Archives

July 1994

From:
Constance Atwill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jul 1994 01:56:48 -0700
On Mon, 11 Jul 1994, Mark Netter wrote:

>... that the most disturbing feeling I've gotten from this extremely
fetishistic
 orgy of wall-to-wall hearings/wall-to-wall O.J. infotainment (did anyone see
 Dan Rather shamelessly exploiting the case on 48 Hours this Friday?) is that
 we're at some global village Klan rally and some atavistic scenario buried
 deep in the U.S. collective unconscious is being played out, in all it's
 agony.

 --Mark Netter, Los Angeles>

I've been having this discussion with several friends lately - and the
conclusion I've come to myself is that I would be just as fascinated by
the trial (and revolted by the media analysis) if it were Alec Baldwin
accused of killing Kim Bassinger, or Pat Riley accused of killing his
wife -- what makes it fascinating for me is the (seemingly) eternal difference
between what I've been led to believe about the world, growing up
watching 'Gidget' (still one of my favorites) and 'I Love Lucy', and what
the world really consists of, which is far more complex, and sometimes
ugly.
Thus it's not a racial issue, or a gender one, for that matter, from my
own perspective.  But the fact that African Americans are responding the
way they are reveals a great deal about the place they feel they hold
within this culture.
But perhaps there are European-Americans (J.T., I know you'll hate the PC
terms...sorry) who are looking at O.J. Simpson in a racial context, as
the lynching they've been waiting for.  Any takers, on this subject?