SCREEN-L Archives

February 2013, Week 2

From:
Michael Kackman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2013 10:55:29 -0600
Cinema Journal's new monthly media studies podcast, Aca-Media, is now
up and running.  Hosts Christine Becker and Michael Kackman and
co-producers Bill Kirkpatrick and Todd Thompson explore current
scholarship, issues in the media industries, questions in pedagogy
and professional development, and events in the world of media
studies. Aca-Media is sponsored by Cinema Journal, the official
journal of the Society for Cinema and Media Studies, and has been
funded in part by the Institute for Scholarship in the Liberal Arts
at the University of Notre Dame.

In the inaugural episode of Aca-Media, we interview incoming editor
of Cinema Journal (and Batman scholar) Will Brooker, discuss the
recent Flow Conference in Austin, TX (featuring a screening of the
new Fox drama The Following), and report on the tribute to the late
Alexander Doty held last fall in Bloomington, IN.

You can subscribe to the podcast through iTunes or via RSS. Links,
show notes, and more information about the podcast can be found at
www.aca-media.org.

You can contact the show at [log in to unmask], and you can follow us
on Twitter at @aca_media.

Want to participate?

The next episode of Aca-Media will drop a week before the SCMS
conference starts in Chicago, which offers perfect timing for the
podcast to offer advice to attendees on how to foster the best
conference experience. But to make sure we cover all bases, we need your help.

We want to know: What one piece of advice do you wish you had gotten
before the first SCMS you attended? What one item should presenters
make sure to pack before heading to Chicago? What one thing should
everyone make time to do at SCMS? What one thing should everyone
avoid doing at SCMS? What have you always wanted to say out loud to
that one person who always does that annoying thing at conferences
but you can't because it might be taken personally and then you'll
never get tenure? What are your best bits of best practices, sage
advice, and sincere warnings related to SCMS?

Record your answer to one of these questions in 30 seconds or less (a
smartphone recording will do, if you don't have a digital recorder),
and email the sound file as an attachment to [log in to unmask] by
February 15. We will compile the best answers in a segment called
Aca-Media Advice: SCMS Edition. We want serious answers, we want
funny answers, we want answers that will help make this the best
possible conference in the history of SCMSing. Send us what you've got to say!