SCREEN-L Archives

March 1995, Week 1

Sender:
From:
Paul Younghouse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 1995 12:58:09 CST
Would Mr. Jarvik care to elaborate on how cutting federal aid will restore
 superior
free education? The suggestion leaves me totally mystified, but it does sound
 like
another New Right promise of pie in the sky.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc?

Paul Younghouse

>I don't understand the specific link to film and television studies on this
>posting. It strikes me as pure political propaganda for more tax money, not
>reasoned argument.
>There is a convincing school of thought, best found in Charles Sykes
>excellent book "Profscam," that federal aid has harmed higher education and
>led to much of the political correctness now found on campus. Cutting federal
>aid will hurt bureaucrats who administer it, not students.
>My parents went to college for FREE at CCNY, UC Berkeley, UCLA, and Hunter
>College before federal aid. Now that federal aid exists, all charge tuition,
>to take advantage of the system of reimbursements. All have huge
>bureaucracies to administer it.
>Cutting federal aid will restore the superior free education found in
>American state and city universities prior to the 1960's.
>Larry Jarvik
>CSPC
Paul Younghouse                   ||
Department of Communication       || "Was ya ever bit by a dead bee?"
Indiana State University          ||     (Thanks to Rick Worland)
Terre Haute, IN   47809           ||
(812) 237-3235                    ||